Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose University of Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at University of Galway is all about here.
About University of Galway
About University of Galway
Since 1845, University of Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
University of Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
Business & Industry
Guiding Breakthrough Research at University of Galway
We explore and facilitate commercial opportunities for the research community at University of Galway, as well as facilitating industry partnership.
- Alumni & Friends
At University of Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
News Research Updates August 2022
Research Updates August 2022
- Jim published a preprint: “Global Rigidity of Line Constrained Frameworks” by James Cruickshank, Fatemeh Mohammadi, Harshit J Motwani, Anthony Nixon and Shin-ichi Tanigawa, available at https://arxiv.org/abs/2208.09308
- Michel, Giuseppe Saccomandi (Perugia and Adjunct Professor in Galway) and Luis Dorfmann (Tufts) guest-edited a Theme Issue of Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, on the impact of the Ogden Model in Nonlinear Elasticity.
- Ted gave a talk entitled `Idempotents' at CCGTA (in SOUTH FLA) 14 Aug-21 Aug 2022 (Combinatorics, Computing, Group Theory and Applications). He was also co-organiser of this NSF funded conference and chaired one day of the six day meeting. Slides of the talks will soon be available online.
- Parisa (PhD student supervised by Aaron) presented a talk on her research on PET/CT radiogenomics of non-small cell lung cancers at the Irish Association of Physicists in Medicine (IAPM) Young Investigator session of the 4th European Congress on Medical Physics, 17-20 August 2022 in Dublin.
- Sai's (PhD student supervised by Aaron) observations of pulsars in the ecliptic plane using the core stations of the International LOFAR radio telescope took place on August 12th.
- Dúalta (IRC Postdoctoral Fellow) spoke on his work on exploring scenarios for coronal mass ejections & radio bursts on Epsilon Eridani at the IAU Symposium 370: Winds of stars and exoplanets, part of the International Astronomical Union General Assembly in Busan, Korea.
- Michel gave a Plenary talk at the International Conference on Recent Advances in Mechanical Engineering 2022, organised by the Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Jodhpur, 25-27 August 2022 (Online mode unfortunately):
- Sumaira (PhD student supervised by Aaron) presented her poster entitled ‘LncRNA based antigen load enables prediction of patient’s survival and immunotherapy outcomes in Melanoma’ at the 28th Congress of the European Association for Cancer Research in Seville, Spain.
Hannah received IRC funding for a 2-year postdoc at UCD on skin biomechanics with Aisling Ní Annaidh, starting in September.
- Nolan, B., O'Sullivan, B., Golden, A., 'Exploring breast and prostate cancer RNA-seq derived radiosensitivity with the Genomic Adjusted Radiation Dose (GARD) model' (2022) Clinical and Translational Radiation Oncology, 36, P127-131
Michel Destrade, Luis Dorfmann and Giuseppe SaccomandiThe Ogden model of rubber mechanics: 50 years of impact on nonlinear elasticityPhilosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A (2022) 20210332https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.2021.0332
Afshin Anssari-Benam, Michel Destrade and Giuseppe SaccomandiModelling brain tissue elasticity with the Ogden model and an alternative family of constitutive modelsPhilosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A (2022) 20210325https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.2021.0325
- IRC Gov of Ireland Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023 - information session will be held for this call on 21 September 2022 at 11:30. Please register for the event using this link. Opening September 8th, Closing October 20th
- IRC Gov of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarships 2023 - information session will be held for this call on 21 September 2022 at 11:30. Please register for the event using this link. Opening September 8th, Closing October 20th
- SFI Frontiers for the Future Programme - rolling call, 4-5 years, €500,000 - €1,000,000 (direct costs)
- ERC Starting – Closing 25th October 2022 (2-7 years' experience after Phd)
- ERC Consolidator – Opening 28th September 2022 – Closing 2nd February 2023 (7-12 years' experience after Phd)
- ERC Advanced – Opening 8th December 2022 - Closing 23rd May 2023 (For established research leaders with a recognised track record of research
- MSCA-PF (Previously IF) - Closing 14th September 2022
- MSCA-DN (Previously ITN) - Closing 15th November 2022