Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose University of Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at University of Galway is all about here.
About University of Galway
About University of Galway
Since 1845, University of Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
University of Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
Business & Industry
Guiding Breakthrough Research at University of Galway
We explore and facilitate commercial opportunities for the research community at University of Galway, as well as facilitating industry partnership.
- Alumni & Friends
At University of Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
News Research Updates March 2022
Research Updates March 2022
- Our School Research Day will take place on Wednesday April 13th in the Orbsen building, starting at 9.20, see full programme here. We have an excellent line up, I hope to see many of you on the day!
- A workshop on Statistical Approaches to Understanding the COVID-19 Pandemic on the Island of Ireland is taking place on Monday April 25th in the ILAS Building in NUI Galway, timetable and registration details are here.
- Our School will host the 24th Conference of the International Linear Algebra Society from June 20 to 24 (see http://ilas2020.ie/). Abstract submission and registration are now open, with more than 300 participants expected!
- Dr Wanis Nafo was successful in his application for a Marie Skłodowska Curie Individual Fellowship to come work here with Michel. Wanis holds a BSc from the University of Benghazi, Lybia, and an MSc and PhD from the University of Waterloo, Canada. He is currently a postdoctoral fellow at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Hong Kong. His project with Michel is on "Localised Cancer Therapy" and will be funded by the European Commission (€200k)
- Pilib has been awarded €428k as part of a North-South application on liquid biopsies with colleagues from TCD/QUB (total award of ~€4M). This will fund 2 x postdoctoral researchers and associated cloud computing/research costs over the next 4 yrs
- Pilib has been appointed as the NUIG representative to the executive board of the recently-established Irish Translational Medicine Network. This network is currently working to secure Ireland's membership in EATRIS (https://eatris.eu/), the European infrastructure for translational medicine
- Mariel and Shane are co-authors on a manuscript from Karen Doyle's group which has been accepted at Frontiers in Neurology
- Shane has been awarded a place on the 2022 ETS Summer School on Deep Learning for Medical Imaging which will take place in Montréal, Canada in July
- Victoria has received a high-level scientific mobility grant given by the French Embassy in Ireland. She will be working for a month in May 2022 with Dr. Damian Markham in the Quantum Information team in LIP6, Sorbonne Université (Paris)
- Mark Howard was awarded “Research Fellows Enhanced Research Expenses” worth €75k to help fund a PhD studentship and hopefully some Summer Studentships
- “Rigidity of Simplicial Complexes” was presented by James Cruickshank (NUIG), Bill Jackson (QMUL) (presenter), Shinichi Tanigawa (Univ. of Tokyo) at the 53rd Southeastern International Conference on Combinatorics, Graph Theory and Computing in Florida Atlantic University on March 9. Link to abstract: http://www.math.fau.edu/combinatorics/abstracts/jackson020722.pdf
- Lydia presented a poster “Assessing the Role of Genomics Data in Stratifying Patients within Predictive Models for Breast Cancer Survival Outcome” at the Irish Association for Cancer Research (IACR) Annual Conference on the 30th of March
- Andrew now leads the Modelling and Informatics Cluster of the Ryan Institute
- Mark Ryder has won an IRC postgraduate award to fund a PhD with Mark Howard on quantum computing
- Fay-Watt V, O’Connor S, Roshan D, Romeo AC, Longo VD, Sullivan FJ. The impact of a fasting mimicking diet on the metabolic health of a prospective cohort of patients with prostate cancer: a pilot implementation study. Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases. 2022 Mar 21:1-6. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41391-022-00528-3
- Morrissey EC, Byrne M, Casey B, Casey D, Gillespie P, Hobbins A, Lowry M, McCarthy E, Newell J, Roshan D, Sharma S. Improving outcomes among young adults with type 1 diabetes: the D1 Now pilot cluster randomised controlled trial. Pilot and feasibility studies. 2022 Dec;8(1):1-20. https://pilotfeasibilitystudies.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40814-022-00986-5
- Berjamin H, De Pascalis R. “Acoustoelastic analysis of soft viscoelastic solids with application to pre-stressed phononic crystals.” International Journal of Solids and Structures 241 (2022), 111529. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2022.111529
Rosanna Rossi, Oana Madalina Mereuta, Mariel Barbachan E Silva, Sara Molina Gil, Andrew Douglas, Abhay Pandit, Michael Gilvarry, Ray Mccarthy, Shane O'Connell, Ciara Tierney, Klearchos Psychogios, Georgios Tsivgoulis, István Szikora, Turgut Tatlisumak, Alexandros Rentzos, John Thornton, Pilib Ó Broin, Karen Doyle. 'Potential biomarkers of Acute Ischemic Stroke etiology revealed by mass spectrometry-based proteomic characterization of formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded blood clots' (https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fneur.2022.854846/abstract)
- J. Blackwell, M.J. Krasny, A. O'Brien, K. Ashkan, J. Galligan, M. Destrade, N. Colgan. Proton resonance frequency shift thermometry: A review of modern clinical practices.
Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 55 (2022) 389-403. https://doi.org/10.1002/jmri.27446
- An information session is being hosted by Claire Bennett about research funding opportunities in the areas of informatics and data science on Tuesday, 5 April between 10.30 and 11.30am in room IT125 (IT Building). Anyone interested in attending should complete this form to help guide attendance and scope
- SFI Frontiers for the Future Awards https://www.sfi.ie/funding/funding-calls/frontiers-for-the-future/index.xml
- SFI Discover Programme Science Week Call 2022 https://www.sfi.ie/funding/funding-calls/sfi-science-week-call/
- The Research Office portal contains lots of information on upcoming calls https://nuigalwayie.sharepoint.com/sites/Fundyourresearch