Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose University of Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at University of Galway is all about here.
About University of Galway
About University of Galway
Since 1845, University of Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
University of Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
Business & Industry
Guiding Breakthrough Research at University of Galway
We explore and facilitate commercial opportunities for the research community at University of Galway, as well as facilitating industry partnership.
- Alumni & Friends
At University of Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
News Research Updates December 2021
Research Updates December 2021
- Prof. Ted Hurley was an invited keynote speaker to a session of the conference "Coding Theory and Cryptography'' at the University of Bahrain in June 2021. Of necessity the conference was held online. Title: `Unit-derived codes'. (Available online). The work is a report on the culmination of successful efforts to derive best codes to desired rate and desired error-correcting capability, (see paper `Maximum distance.. ' below for example.)
- Prof. Ted Hurley was appointed External Examiner for Dundalk Institute of Technology (DkIT) for their new undergraduate and graduate programmes on Data Analytics
- Sarah Ennis is presenting her poster: 'Single Cell Transcriptomics Revealed Molecular Alterations in AML Cell Clusters Relevant to Refractory Disease at Relapse' at the American Society of Haematology (ASH) annual meeting in Atlanta, GA.
- Shane O'Connell presented results from his recent preprint: 'Magnetic Resonance Imaging-based Deep Learning Predictive Models of Brain Disorders: A Systematic Review of Modelling Practices, Transparency, and Interpretability' at the Galway Neuroscience Annual Research Day held last week.
- Eamon McAndrew is at the Institute Pasteur in Lille for two weeks as part of a reciprocal visit funded by Pilib's Ulysses award.
- Victoria Sánchez Muñoz received the Kovalevskaya Travel Grant to attend the International Congress of Mathematicians ICM 2022 in St. Petersburg, Russia, in July 2022
- Prof. Michel Destrade and Dr. Valentina Balbi will have a new PhD student, Sairam Pamulaparthi Venkata, starting in January as part of the Marie Curie ITN project XS-Meta. Sairam will work on soft meta-materials instabilities.
- Dúalta and Aaron Golden are coordinating an international consortium of astronomers and planetary scientists studying the planet Uranus. Using radio telescopes located in Ireland, Sweden and France, the goal is to try and detect lightning associated with storms in the planet's gaseous atmosphere, previously observed by NASA's Voyager spacecraft during its flyby in 1986.
- Dúalta was awarded 18 hours of time on the European Very Large Baseline Interferometric Network of radio telescopes that span the Eurasian and African continents, with the aim of characterising the stellar wind environment around the nearby binary star system Lambda Andromedae.
- Joseph Gildea, a former graduate student here, PhD 2008, was promoted to Professor of Mathematics at the University of Chester.
- Ted Hurley "Unique builders for classes of matrices", Special Matrices, (Special Issue on Combinatorial matrices), Vol. 9, no. 1, 2021, 52-65. https://doi.org/10.1515/spma-2020-0122
- Ted Hurley, Donny Hurley, Barry Hurley "Maximum distance separable codes to order'', Global Journal of Science Frontier Research, [S.l.], Vol 21, no. 4, 1-13, 2021.
- Niall has had a paper accepted for publication in the SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications - "A Boundary-Layer Preconditioner for Singularly Perturbed Convection Diffusion". It's joint work with Anh Thái Nhan (formerly of NUIG) and Scott MacLachlan (MUN)
- Alan Agresti (2021) "The foundations of statistical science: A history of textbook presentations (with discussion from John Hinde)". Brazilian Journal of Probability and Statistics Vol. 35, No. 4, 657–698 https://doi.org/10.1214/21-BJPS518