Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose University of Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at University of Galway is all about here.
About University of Galway
About University of Galway
Since 1845, University of Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
University of Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
Business & Industry
Guiding Breakthrough Research at University of Galway
We explore and facilitate commercial opportunities for the research community at University of Galway, as well as facilitating industry partnership.
- Alumni & Friends
At University of Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
News Research Updates January 2022
Research Updates January 2022
- The second annual CRT symposium is taking place (online) on February 3 and 4. The symposium was due to take place in-person in September. Due to the shift online there may still be some places available for late registrations at https://linktr.ee/sysgen21
- Martin Kerin has a new PhD student, Badriah Safarji, who will be studying differential geometry
- Martin Kerin had a paper, written together with Jason DeVito (University of Tennessee) and Fernando Galaz García (Durham University), accepted by the Indiana University Mathematics Journal. [Due to the backlog at the journal, it probably won't appear in print for some time.]
- The Irish Geometry Seminar will resume on 1 February [new webpage at https://sites.google.com/view/irishgeomseminar/home]
- Aaron Golden has been awarded 13 nights in late February/early March on the 1.8m Vatican Advanced Technology Telescope at the Mount Graham International Observatory in Arizona to observe the nearby young triple brown dwarf system VHS J125601.92–125723.9, and in particular characterise the meteorological conditions of the exoplanet analogue VHS 1256–1257 b, scheduled to be observed by the James Webb Space Telescope in May of this year.
- Lydia King (PhD candidate in the CRT Genomics Data Science) - along with Simone, Emma and Aaron - had her second first-author paper 'GNOSIS: an R Shiny app supporting cancer genomics survival analysis with cBioPortal' published in HRB Open Research.
- Lydia is presenting a poster “Assessing the Role of Genomics Data in Stratifying Patients within Predictive Models for Breast Cancer Survival Outcome” at the annual CRT conference (Systems Genomics Summit) on the 4th of Feb.
- Prof. Patrick Farrell (Oriel College Oxford) a graduate of about 13 years ago, was a winner of an LMS (London Math. Soc.) Junior Whitehead Prize, along with 9 others.
- Martin L. Newell. On Groups of Commutator Symmetries , Advances in Group Theory and Applications, 12 (2021), pp. 1–18
- Moloney, S., McGrath, B. M., Roshan, D., & Gethin, G. (2021). The Personal Impact of Daily Wound Care for Hidradenitis Suppurativa. Dermatology, 110. https://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/520262
- Dark, Rex, Arnold D. Feldman, and María Dolores Pérez-Ramos. "Nilpotent length and system permutability." Journal of Algebra 589 (2022): 287-322.
- John Haslett, Andrew C Parnell, John Hinde, Rafael de Andrade Moral (2021) Modelling excess zeros in count data: A new perspective on modelling approaches. International Statistical Review doi: 10.1111/insr.12479
- Murray Aitkin, John Hinde and Brian Francis (2022) Reflections on statistical modelling: A conversation with Murray Aitkin, Statistical Modelling, 22(1), https://doi.org/10.1177/1471082X211060560
- Shirin Moghaddam, John Newell and John Hinde (2022) A Bayesian approach to imputation of survival data. To appear in Stats.
- Francis, B and Hinde, J. (2022) Guest Editors: Editorial : Special Issue in Honour of Murray Aitkin, Statistical Modelling, 22(1).
- King L., Flaus A., Coughlan S., Holian, E., Golden, A. (2021) 'GNOSIS: an R Shiny app supporting cancer genomics survival analysis with cBioPortal' [version 1; peer review: awaiting peer review]. HRB Open Res 2022, 5:8 (https://doi.org/10.12688/hrbopenres.13476.1)
- Ó Fionnagáin, D., Kavanagh R.D., Vidotto A.A., Jeffers S.V., Petit P., Marsden S., Morin J., Golden, A. (2021) 'Coronal Mass Ejections and Type II Radio Emission Variability during a Magnetic Cycle on the Solar-type Star epsilon Eridani', The Astrophysical Journal, 924, 115 (https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/1538-4357/ac35de)