New Book Says Employees Can Restore Consumer Trust In Times of Recession

Mar 22 2011 Posted: 00:00 GMT
In 2005, Harvard Business Review reported that of 30,000 products launched in the USA, 90 percent failed because of poor marketing. The other 10 percent went on to become successful brands. This stark fact introduces the new edition of the bestselling text 'Creating Powerful Brands', by brand gurus Professor Leslie de Chernatony of Università della Svizzera italiana, Lugano and Aston Business School UK; Professor Malcolm McDonald Emeritus Professor at Cranfield University and Honorary Professor at Warwick Business School and by Dr Elaine Wallace of the J. E. Cairnes School of Business & Economics, NUI Galway. Speaking to world leading branding academics and practitioners at the Thought Leaders International Conference for Brand Management Lugano, Switzerland, Professor McDonald illustrated the value of brands with the book's example of Gillette. In 2006 Proctor and Gamble paid £31 billion for the brand, of which only £4 billion was accounted by tangible assets. The remainder reflected the intangible value of the brand. Providing a road map for brand managers, brand novices, and students of branding, this fully revised edition of the bestselling text explores branding across industry sectors. It tackles the issue of own branding versus manufacturer branding in retailing, and explains the role of the front line employee in services branding. It considers the effect of counterfeiting on world-leading brands, and charts the role of the consumer as brand ambassador in online brand communities such as Facebook and Twitter. Published by Butterworth-Heinemann, the book is available in retailers and online at


Featured Stories